For the past few months I’ve been test driving a new rewards credit card, the ChoicePlus Card from American Express.
I’ve already written about the unique features of this card and how you can earn double points at five of your favourite retailers. This post will show you how you can cash in those points for some great rewards.
One of the perks for signing up with the ChoicePlus Card was a 7,500 point welcome bonus – enough for a $50 gift card. Since I got the card around Christmas time I wanted to redeem the welcome bonus right away so I could treat myself.
If you spend $500 a month and earn double points at your five retailers and then spend another $500 a month elsewhere, you’ll earn 1,500 points every month. At that rate it doesn’t take long for the points to add up.
Redeeming Points with the ChoicePlus Card
Redeeming my points was easy. I just logged onto my account online and from there I could see my Choice by Membership Rewards balance and the following options:
- Browse and redeem online
- Use points for qualified travel transactions
- Choose or review your 5 places where you can earn double points. You can change your 5 places once per year.
From the ‘browse rewards’ page you can see there are a ton of options to choose from. I like that most of the rewards I’m interested in are well within reach.
Related: Redeeming Your Aeroplan Miles
Here are some examples:
Shop & Dine with your Points
- Gift Cards to shop – including American Express, The Home Depot, Holt Renfrew, The Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic.
- Gift Cards to dine – including The Keg Steakhouse & Bar, Oliver & Bonacini, and Bon Appétit restaurants.
- Hundreds of merchandise rewards from top brands like Apple, Bose, Sony, KitchenAid and Cuisinart.
Use Points to Create & Enjoy Experiences
- One adult admission at Cineplex or Empire Theatres
- Night out for 2 adults at Cineplex or Empire Theatres
- Stratford Shakespeare Festival Gift Cards
- Sporting Life Gift Cards
- Golf Town Gift Cards
Travel with your Points
- TripFlex™ rewards: Charge your travel purchases to your Card and then go online to redeem your points. Your points can even be used to cover taxes and fees. A $10 statement credit is 1,000 points
- Transfer points to hotel rewards programs including 1-to-1 with Hilton HHonors – starting at 1,000 points
- Gift Cards: Avis, VIA Rail, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, Flight Centre – 3,000 points+
After daydreaming about using the TripFlex™ rewards to book a tropical vacation, I quickly realized that wasn’t going to happen with two young kids at home.
Related: How To Profit From Loyalty Programs
Instead I opted for the more practical option – a Shoppers Drug Mart gift card for my wife and an iTunes gift card for me.