What’s New Around The Blogosphere: November 4th, 2011

We braved a chilly night on Monday to take our daughter out trick-or-treating for Halloween.  I was surprised by the number of kids out in our area considering we just moved to a brand new neighborhood.  It was great to meet a few more of our neighbors and to see all the kids dressed up and having fun.  In the end we only made it to about 15 houses but her bag of candy was stuffed to the max.  It’s amazing the amount of candy people will give out to a cute two-year old.

Earlier this week we launched the First Time Home Buyer’s Guide contest, sponsored by RateSupermarket.ca.  Sign up for the guide and enter to win a $100 Amazon gift card.

Now let’s take a look at some interesting articles from the world of personal finance this week:

1. Canadian Couch Potato reviews Andrew Hallam’s Millionaire Teacher book
  2. Retire Happy Blog lists 3 basic steps to a retirement plan
  3. My University Money looks at the Maclean’s 2011 University rankings
  4. PT Money explains why I like “spending plan” better than “budget”
  5. Money Smarts Blog asks if you could buy a gold-plated government pension, would you?
  6. The Blunt Bean Counter asks are you a Nevertiree through choice or necessity?
  7. Big Cajun Man looks at the benefits of getting gas at Costco
  8. Financial Uproar says that RRSP loans actually make sense
  9. Michael James shares the best kept secret about successful investing
  10. Change on a Budget lays out her monthly budget

Have a great weekend everyone!

10 Responses to What’s New Around The Blogosphere: November 4th, 2011

1. Mike Holman says:

Glad you had fun trick-or-treating. My kids had a lot of fun as well.

Now I’m in the process of bringing the three tons of extra candy to work and giving it out there.

2. The Blunt Bean Counter says:

Thanks for link (although it does not link):)

Funny, as my kids are now University age, our neighbourhoods Halloween has gone from insane to only needing a couple bags of candy. Funny how a neighbourhood seems to age together.

• Echo says:

@The Blunt Bean Counter – sorry about that, the link is now working.

It looks like our new neighborhood will be like that…lots of young families right now.

• Boomer says:

@The Blunt Bean Counter: My neighbourhood was like that when the kids were young. They all grew up together and then moved on. New young couples are now moving in as the retirees move out (these are the only neighbourhoods that have schools) – and the cycle continues.

3. We had fun seeing all the little princesses and pirates arrive at our doorstep!

Thanks for the mention, and as always the company is superb!

4. Thanks so much for the mention :)

5. I got like 40 kids this year, a definite improvement over last year’s 8. I actually ran out of candy, which was good because I didn’t have to eat up all the leftovers.

Thanks for the link.

6. Paul says:

Hi Robb,

Read your article in Moneyville.ca website; it was great to put a face to a name/blog and it was good article as well. People don’t realize that sometimes having only a single income is not bad thing due to the tax breaks and reduced expenses.

Cheers,

Paul

• Echo says:

Hi Paul, thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate you stopping by. When it comes to living on one income, everyone’s situation is different. It’s worthwhile to at least do the math and see if it can be done.